People use a fruit knife to sample the inner area of watermelons, cantaloupes, and other fruits. They also use them to design tasty displays on serving trays. A great fruit (and vegetable) knife will have these qualities…
- Size. The length of the knife, closed, runs from 4 5/8″ to 5 3/4″. People in the fruit business choose the size best suited for their products.
- Material of the Blades. Stainless steel is the best, longest lasting blade material. The acid environment is hard on other metals.
- Material of the Handle. Usually the handles are stainless steel, but to guard against the acidity of the fruits, some are made of plastic.
- Number of Blades. They come with one or two blades.
- Kind of Blades. Smooth or wavy are available. The wavy ones will cut easier through the tough skin of a cantaloupe.
- Carry Pouch. Some fruit workers like to keep their knife handy, by having a pouch attached to their belt.
The most popular selection is the 5 3/4″ fruit/vegetable knife 95-113e.